North State Parent magazine

A MAGAZINE SERVING FAMILIES IN BUTTE, GLENN, SHASTA, SISKIYOU & TEHAMA COUNTIES SINCE 1993

Community

Shasta Regional Community Foundation community images - north state parent

Shasta Regional Community Foundation

Scholarship and Loan Opportunities The fall season is a great time for students to begin researching scholarship opportunities that will help them reach their educational goals. Shasta Regional Community Foundation […]

0919-ss1

Dive into Swimming in the North State

To anyone with an aversion to large bodies of water, swimming may seem like a sport reserved for those who don’t realize humans lack gills and fins. In a state […]

Mount Shasta’s School CAFÉ with teachers and students - north state parent

The Growth of Mount Shasta’s School CAFÉ

The young people at Mount Shasta Elementary and Sisson School have spoken, and their request for fresh changes to school lunches is being answered in Siskiyou County. The Culinary Action […]

0819-pets

Surprising Ways Pets Benefit Your Kids

It’s 6 a.m., and you hear your baby whimpering. He’s probably hungry, but you want to sleep a little longer. Nevertheless, like any good parent, you get out of bed […]

0819-pet1

Uplifting “Tails” of Pets Loved, Lost and Found

For true pet lovers, our dogs, cats, turtles and even chinchillas are deeply loved. We can’t imagine our family circle complete without them. During the 2018 Carr Fire that burned […]

art-0619-c1

Three New Twists on Old Crafts

Paint by numbers, latch hook and friendship bracelets have been around forever but what about some newer types of arts and crafts projects? If you’re looking for a different activity […]

art-0619-rt

Road Trippin’ – Healthy, Kid-Friendly Snacks for the Road

Parents know that a hungry kid equals a cranky kid, and let’s not forget that parents get hungry and cranky, too! Nothing like a car full of “hangry” road trippers […]

art-0619-g1

20 Tips to Save Money on Your Car & Gasoline 

Owning a car is expensive. You must pay for insurance, gas, maintenance and then unexpected expenses like repairs or accidents. So, I’m always looking for ways to save money. The […]

art-0519-sl

How Motherhood Made Me Appreciate My Mom

When I look back at each important moment in my life—the day I learned to drive, my graduation, my wedding, the birth of my first child—my mother is always standing […]

art-0419-c

13 Easy, Fun Botanical Ideas to Welcome Spring

Some things to look forward to in April include International Plant Appreciation Day (4/13), Earth Day (4/22), and Arbor Day (4/26). The U.S. Department of Agriculture proclaimed April as National […]

art-0419-t1

Spring Birthday? Pull Together A Quick & Inexpensive Indoor Garden Party

Are you looking for an easy and fun spring birthday party celebration for elementary school-age children? Browse these ideas and pick and choose what works for your spring birthday girl […]

art-0419-r1

Wild About Learning: Tehama County Library’s Project Story Hour Boxes

My brother introduced me to a new word this week as we were discussing our childhood memories over the phone. He told me, “I am so thankful our parents read […]

>