North State Parent magazine

A MAGAZINE SERVING FAMILIES IN BUTTE, GLENN, SHASTA, SISKIYOU & TEHAMA COUNTIES SINCE 1993

Community

art-1213-cocered-california

Covered California: What You Need To Know About The New Healthcare Marketplace

According to the California Healthcare Foundation’s 2012 annual report entitled “California’s Uninsured: Treading Water,” in 2011 nearly 7.1 million people under the age of 65 were not covered by health […]

art-1113-adp1

Voyage From Ethiopia: A Dad’s Perspective on International Adoption

International adoption is a frustrating, difficult and expensive process, and yet I’m here to recommend it. And for two very good reasons. My daughters. While international adoption made my family […]

art-1013-wib

Taking the Leap – Women-Owned Small Businesses on the Rise

Most working women have thought about it: What would it be like to work for yourself? To be the boss and run the show? So you have a great idea […]

Surefire Ways To Connect Kids And Grandparents Via Technology

Do you love watching your kids interact with your parents? Grandparent relationships are special, but can’t always take place in close proximity. My children have never lived in the same […]

Soaring with Eagle Scouts

Commitment and dedication are traits that you might expect to find in an Eagle Scout, but Ron Zufall has taken those traits to another level with his 41-year relationship with […]

Neighborhood Block Parties: Meeting in the Middle of the Road

Today’s world, where we are afforded every modern convenience and all the trappings of technology to stay connected, is usually anything but conducive to building real relationships with the people […]

art-0813-women-bond

When Women Bond

For as long as humans have roamed the earth, women have bonded for child-rearing, spiritual growth, and social and intellectual causes. Cavewomen raised their children together in extended families. Ancient […]

When Your Neighbor Has a Child with a Disability

Who doesn’t want their child to have friends … to be popular, well liked, respected, invited to parties and play dates?  Now put your feet into the shoes of a […]

Growing Up at ScienceWorks – Interactive Museum Offers Play, Education And Life Experience

High school-age intern leaders at ScienceWorks Museum in Ashland, Oregon swap stories and play foosball in the break room between shifts. Some have been coming here for more than 10 […]

art-0613-Briana-Beaver

Briana Beaver Needs Help to Reach Her Dream of Living a Healthy Life

Twenty-five year old Briana Beaver of Chico has had big dreams. One of her dreams was to earn a university degree in sociology, which she did in 2011, graduating summa […]

art-0513-creeks

Counting Rocks with Kids & Creeks

“There is a location at Five-Mile Recreation Area, where, in winter and spring, some of the waters flowing down Big Chico Creek enter into a different channel and become a […]

Doesn’t Bug Me

I remember the afternoon when one of our girls, a toddler at the time, brought me a treasure from our yard clutched in her chubby hand. Holding her fist up to […]

>