North State Parent magazine

A MAGAZINE SERVING FAMILIES IN BUTTE, GLENN, SHASTA, SISKIYOU & TEHAMA COUNTIES SINCE 1993

Community

What About My Water Heater?

It’s one of the luxuries of modern life – turn the tap and hot water flows out, ready for baths, showers, laundry and dishes. It’s not something you likely think […]

Saving Water With Every Flush

Most people only think about toilets on an as-needed basis, or on those unfortunate and annoying occasions when the toilet stops working. But did you know that flushing toilets is […]

Two North State Writing Contests!

The Butte Literacy Council Short Story Contest 2016 Butte County kids, teens and adults, it’s time to pick up your pen and paper – or laptop – and get your […]

I Love Me … and My Family

Before we know it, the nearly 12,000 pound ball will descend over Times Square. Millions of people will kiss and sing Auld Lang Syne to kick off a new year […]

art-0116-birds

Jewels Of The Sky – Appreciating The Diversity, Beauty, And Intrinsic Value Of Birds

Birds are some of the most fascinating creatures that share our world. They are found in every continent and almost every corner of the globe, including our backyards. They are […]

art-0116-be-inspired

Be Inspired – Inspire School of Arts & Sciences “Super Gala”

As its name suggests, Chico’s Inspire School of Arts and Sciences exists to inspire young people. On a day-to-day basis, Inspire “strives to motivate and empower its students to reach […]

Reading & Rhythm – Local Elementary School Focuses on Arts Integration

Do you remember your child’s first clap? The first time he successfully hit palm-to-palm and smiled at the sound he just created all by himself? For children, learning to make […]

The Magic of Singing – 50 Reasons to Encourage Your Kids to Raise Their Voices

It happened a couple of years ago. My then 10-year-old daughter was moping around the house, grousing about some aspect of our lives that was not as ideal as she […]

Paper-Backed By The Community: Tehama County Library is Fundraising for New Building

When Librarian Sally Ainsworth first got news that the Tehama County Library, located in Red Bluff, needed to vacate their current building to make way for a jail expansion, she […]

art-1215-toy1

Holiday Gift Shopping – Two Local Toy Stores Bring Back The Fun

Toys and the holiday season go hand in hand, but trying to find the right gift in a crowded mega store or on the vast expanses of the Internet is […]

The Only Way to Be Enduringly Grateful This Thanksgiving

This month, in America, we will celebrate Thanksgiving. On that day, we’ll focus on being grateful for what we have. And then on Friday we’ll shop ourselves broke. The two […]

art-1115-rattlesnakes2

A Rhumba Of Rattlesnakes – New Children’s Book by Kristen Lape

A prickle of porcupines? A lounge of Iguanas? A delightful new children’s book, featuring whimsical yet scientifically accurate illustrations of animals, is written in a fun A-Z format that teaches the […]

>