North State Parent magazine

A MAGAZINE SERVING FAMILIES IN BUTTE, GLENN, SHASTA, SISKIYOU & TEHAMA COUNTIES SINCE 1993

Community

Classical Music Artists - north state parent

Teens Excel as Aspiring Classical Music Artists

It’s Cooler Than You Think We’ve all heard the too-familiar refrains. “When I was five years old, my parents made me take piano lessons.” “My dad wouldn’t let me play […]

people at parades - north state parent

Gather at the Parades!

Recently I had planned to have a quiet evening at home, but then my son called, asking, “Aren’t you coming to the Monster Truck Parade?” What does a mom say […]

Get a Pet - a family with their dog - north state parent

5 Important Things to Consider Before You Get a Pet

When Erica Galligan’s children were young, her family tried adopting a dog. But allergy issues forced them to return their pet to the breeder. Over time they found other alternatives, […]

Achieve Charter School Casey Taylor - north state parent

Achieve Charter School: New Beginnings

Up from the Ashes In August 2019, just 10 months after the Camp Fire leveled Paradise, CA, 217 kindergarten-through-8th-grade students streamed onto Achieve Charter School’s newly-constructed campus in Chico, CA. […]

Shasta Community Maternity Center staff - north state parent

Shasta Community Maternity Center

A Warm Hug of Services The healthcare team at Shasta Community Maternity Center wants every woman to feel as though she’s wrapped in a warm hug of quality services each […]

festival of lights - north state parent

Sharing the Festival of Lights

The holidays can be a time of reverence for many community members. Jennifer Adams of Blue Oak Charter School in Chico, CA, believes that Blue Oak’s annual “Festival of Lights” […]

a girl doing Acts of Service - north state parent

5 Acts of Service for Families

Embracing a Spirit of Giving The holidays are a magical time for kids. Between the parties, decorations, treats, and gifts galore, who can’t understand a child feeling excited about this […]

Grandparents and their grandkids - north state parent

Role of Grandparents In Modern Families

In our contemporary world filled with technology and fast-moving parts and pieces, it can be easy to assume that modern human beings are rewriting the rules. We perceive fundamental changes […]

An adoption hearing - fostering and adopting - north state parent

Fostering and Adopting

A Journey of a Lifetime November is National Adoption Awareness Month, intended to raise awareness of those children in foster care needing adoption into permanent homes. At any given time, […]

1019-9

Working From Home

How to Manage Your Time When you work in an office, your gabby neighbor, needy family members, and others don’t expect you to be free during the day. Your inner […]

Firestorm Wildland Fire Suppression crew - north state parent

Firestorm Wildland Fire Suppression, Inc.

Helping Local Youth Find a Purpose Jim Wills is undoubtedly a man with a vision. He is the founder of Chico, CA’s Firestorm Wildland Fire Suppression, Inc., a private fire […]

Sundial Riffle Raffle - north state parent

The Redding Ducky Derby Becomes The Sundial Riffle Raffle

What happened to the Redding Ducky Derby? It has been reimagined as the Sundial Riffle Raffle taking place this year during the River Bowl, Friday, October 18. Since the inception […]

>