North State Parent magazine

A MAGAZINE SERVING FAMILIES IN BUTTE, GLENN, SHASTA, SISKIYOU & TEHAMA COUNTIES SINCE 1993

Community

Cultivating Scientific Minds at Ponderosa Elementary School

What physical traits define an insect? Why do raisins dropped in Sprite “dance”? What composes an owl pellet? Ask the students at Ponderosa Elementary School in Paradise. They can tell […]

Box Car Races in Yreka Offer A Fun Time For Kids And Their Dads

This year, the fastest moving vehicles at the Contemporary Historical Vehicle Association (CHVA) Father’s Day Car Show in Yreka will be made of cardboard boxes. These souped-up racing machines will […]

How to Help Birds at Home

For more than a century, Audubon’s mission has been to conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on birds, other wildlife, and their habitats, for the benefit of humanity and the […]

Mt. Shasta High School Drama Students Present: A Pirate’s Life For Me

Mt. Shasta High School’s advanced drama class presents A Pirate’s Life for Me, a musical by Craig Sodaro with music and lyrics by Bill Francoer. This fun-filled, energy-packed musical is […]

Arts for US – A Music & Performing Arts Program for Youth on the Autism Spectrum

A new music and performing arts program, Arts for US, launched in March at Harris Studios in Redding. Designed for children and teens on the autism spectrum, the program gives […]

5 Things to Know About Parents of Children with Special Needs

My husband and I adopted our daughter when she was 9 years old. She has a long list of mental health diagnoses. We quickly discovered that parenting a special needs child […]

Cuddle A Reader, Create A Reader – A Special Message And More For New Parents

“It’s never too early to start reading to your child.” This is the message that parents of newborns are hearing at Dignity Health Mercy Medical Center Redding (MMCR) before they […]

An Open Letter to Millenials About the Insanity of Marriage

Dear Millenials: Surveys show you’re losing interest in marriage and, from what I hear, the main reason is this: to you, marriage doesn’t make any sense. And I know why […]

The Greenie Awards – Honoring Students Working Towards A Sustainable Future

Presented annually at the This Way to Sustainability Conference, the “Greenie Awards” honor students participating in programs that encourage youthful leadership in creating a sustainable future. The awards recognize bright […]

For A Brighter Future, It’s This Way To Sustainability

California State University, Chico, hosts its 11th annual This Way to Sustainability Conference held on campus March 24 and 25, 2016. This nationally recognized event includes keynote speakers and lively […]

art-0301-pp1

Peter Pan Jr. – A Music-Infused Take On A Beloved Story

Whether you recall the tale from the Walt Disney classic or live-action films like Hook and Pan, you’ve likely been enchanted by the timeless story of the boy who never […]

Exploring the Options for Financing Solar Panels

Perhaps you want to save money on your electricity bill. Perhaps you advocate the environmental benefits of alternative energy. Whatever your motivation, if you’re thinking about installing solar panels at […]

>