North State Parent magazine

A MAGAZINE SERVING FAMILIES IN BUTTE, GLENN, SHASTA, SISKIYOU & TEHAMA COUNTIES SINCE 1993

Community

art-1014-fire

Are You Playing With Fire? Plan Ahead To Protect Your Family Should Disaster Strike

When it comes to home disasters, children are most likely to experience a fire. Preparedness and planning saves lives, but nearly three-quarters of Americans have never developed or practiced a […]

Soroptimist International: Local Women Making a Difference in the North State

Valerie Sawyers-Stroud spent most of her life working things out on her own. For years, the single mom postponed the dream of pursuing her education so she could focus on […]

art-1014-karrie-ann

One Mamapreneur’s Story Reflects A National Trend

“I wasn’t doing this for others – I was starting a business for me and my family.”  As the director of Jefferson Economic Development Institute (JEDI), I hear this often.  A […]

art-1014-whw

Women Helping Women: Business Owners Find Value in Networking

In times of tragedy and opposition, like last month’s devastating fire in Weed, members of Siskiyou County’s two Women in Business Network (WIBN) chapters are there to encourage one another […]

This Season’s Harvest Happenings

Autumn is a perfect time to begin or continue a traditional visit to harvest happenings in our region. Pumpkins, colorful gourds and winter squash all provide a cornucopia of color, […]

Special Fun for Babies and Toddlers Circle Time at Apple Blossom Baby

When Darci and James Crossin first sat down to map out a plan for their maternity and baby goods store, Chico’s Apple Blossom Baby, circle times were part of that original […]

Serving Youth Makes Our Days Magical! How I Found Happiness By Doing Second Grade Over And Over Again.

Being a Foster Grandparent brings joy to my life every day. After retiring, I spent three years reading every book that sparked my fancy on the shelves of the Mt. […]

Not Just About Animals … 17 Great Things About 4-H

In my family, our search for different activities for our children led us to 4-H. We discovered the program offers much more than experiences in farming and raising animals, which […]

art-0914-alice

Curiouser and Curiouser: Butte County Children Perform in Alice In Wonderland Jr.

Imagine yourself in a place beyond your wildest dreams, where a bite of cake or a sip of drink can make you grow or shrink, and mysterious talking Cheshire cats […]

Be More Than A Hero… Be a SUPERHERO! – Join the CASA Superhero Runs in Chico and Redding

Heroes will not be hard to find in the North State this month and next: they’ll be out in the open, running for a good cause and having fun in […]

Feeling Drab or Disheveled? Five Tips To Beautify While Living A Chaotic Life

I confess … on occasion I do apply a final coat of mascara while sitting in the car at a red light. I know this behavior does not represent my finest […]

Students Gear Up for Bike to School Day Around the North State

Kids love riding bicycles. Maybe it’s because it’s an outdoor activity, or it’s something they can do with their friends. Maybe it’s because they can actually get somewhere under their […]

>