North State Parent magazine

A MAGAZINE SERVING FAMILIES IN BUTTE, GLENN, SHASTA, SISKIYOU & TEHAMA COUNTIES SINCE 1993

Community

north state parent - birds - window gems

Raven Tree Helps Save the Birds

Saving Backyard Birds With Prismatic Window Gems – Homemade in Mt. Shasta Every year in this country, more than one billion birds die from colliding with ordinary window glass. These […]

Before During and After a Wildfire - north state parent

Before, During and After a Wildfire

Wildfire Actions What to do BEFORE a wildland fire: Create defensible space to separate your home from flammable vegetation and materials (minimum 100ft PRC 4291). Adhere to all local fire […]

grandparents bonding with grandchildren - north state parent

The Bond Between Grandparents and Grandchildren

Grandparents Day is September 9th, but smart parents regularly celebrate the vital role that grandparents play in their family’s life every day. The strong bond between grandparents and their grandchildren […]

0820-w3

Essential Elements for a Water-Smart Family in a Dry Year

Splashing in the pool or dipping your toes into a flowing creek is excellent for a hot North State summer cool down. As temperatures rise, water usage spikes with sprinklers […]

Budget Friendly Backyard Activities -Kids Playing in water on the grass

Seven Budget Friendly Backyard Activities for Summer

“Mom, I’m bored!” Those three words strung together can trigger waves of anxiety in any parent, especially during the summer months when a child’s daily schedule is wide open while […]

Children's Emotions - Sad young boy with Dad comforting him

Children’s Emotions – Why Our Children Need to Feel Sadness to Experience Joy

I can clearly remember listening to Melissa Manchester’s song “Don’t Cry Out Loud” as a child back in the 1980s. Those lyrics have been etched in my brain all these […]

0620-bc2

Meet Beverly Cleary, Children’s Author and National Treasure

Who wouldn’t enjoy the spectacle of a young mouse named Ralph roaring down the hallways of a dingy hotel on a toy motorcycle? Or the plight of a scruffy, stray […]

Great Ways Dads are Different - kids playing with dad

Great Ways Dads are Different

There is no denying that there are differences between how moms and dads parent their kids. Just because dads may do things differently than moms doesn’t mean their parenting style […]

art-615-dog2

Pet Safety: Hugs Are For Humans!

Saving the hugs for humans can prevent an unsolicited bite, or scratch, or worse. We’ve seen them posted online or traded between phones: the adorable home video clips capturing kid-and-pet […]

Celebrating Our Differences

Celebrating Our Differences

A Mother’s Perspective How the Movie “Wonder” Sheds Light on Our Family’s Reality RJ Palacio wrote her bestselling novel Wonder after an encounter at a local ice cream shop. She and her […]

Valley Oak Children Services team

Valley Oak Children Services Celebrates 40 years!

As an acorn becomes a mighty oak tree, Valley Oak Children’s Services has grown from a grassroots effort to a healthy community organization. Founded in 1980 as Butte County’s […]

a couple showing Affection

The Affection Effect in Marriage

Show Your Love! “They must still be dating,” my friend whispered to me. We were standing shivering at my son’s soccer game before the coronavirus swept the nation and we […]

>