North State Parent magazine

A MAGAZINE SERVING FAMILIES IN BUTTE, GLENN, SHASTA, SISKIYOU & TEHAMA COUNTIES SINCE 1993

Community

art-515-garden1

Learning Blossoms In School Gardens Throughout the North State

In recent years, school garden programs have become a widespread movement to bring education outdoors and promote hands-on learning for children. Through community collaboration, gardens are blooming on elementary campuses […]

Tips for Helping Your Child Master Math, Including Fun Ways You Can Learn Together

A few weeks back, I was volunteering in a 4th grade classroom. The teacher asked me if I would help a few students with their long division. I sat down with […]

The Gateway Science Museum – Building a Bridge Between Community, Education & Nature

At the heart of Chico, nestled between the university, Bidwell Park, and the town’s downtown area, lays a local gem, the Gateway Science Museum. The museum stands out for its […]

7 Signs You Might Actually Be a Tree Hugger and How to Get There If You’re a “Wanna-be” 

I guess it’s time for me to admit that I’m a tree hugger. Not the kind that would chain myself to a tree or live in a tree in protest, but […]

Bringing the World Home: North State Families Host Foreign Exchange Students

In an evermore connected world, opportunities to learn about other cultures are as easy as pushing a button. Yet none can quite compare with real, one-on-one experiences. Some North State […]

art-215-text

Why One Text Message is More Romantic Than a Hundred Valentine Cards

On Valentine’s Day, we try to purchase romance with one night of intense togetherness. But romance can’t be purchased, and the most romantic things may be the things we do […]

art-215-grandparents

Helping Kids Cope When an Ailing Grandparent Moves In 

A growing number of families with young children are caring for an aging relative. Whether it’s temporary care following surgery, or longer-term care due to a debilitating condition, more and more […]

art-215-memory1

Working Memory And The Learning Brain: What It Is and Why It Matters

Working with a child as he learns a new skill can be a rewarding experience for a parent or teacher. It can also be one filled with unexpected challenges, requiring […]

Lassen Volcanic National Park Offers an Array of Education Programs

Lassen Volcanic National Park offers memorable educational opportunities for schools and youth groups where visitors discover the wonder and mysteries of volcanoes, roaring fumaroles (steam and volcanic-gas vents), thumping mud […]

art-215-common-core

Common Core: North State Kids to Bring Their Computer Savvy on Test Day

This spring, North State students will have to bring some computer savvy along with a sharpened pencil to school on test day, when millions of California’s kids sit down for […]

art-215-diabetis

Supporting Children with Type 1 Diabetes: Local Group Helps Families Connect

The Northern California Type 1 Diabetes Support Group has been serving families since 2009. The group works to help network and support families who face the challenges of having a […]

art-115-jerry

Our Cartoonist Shares Fun Tips! Getting Paid to Doodle

I have fun all day long … and yes, I have a job! I actually get paid to sit and draw cartoons all day. When I was a young child, I […]

>