North State Parent magazine

A MAGAZINE SERVING FAMILIES IN BUTTE, GLENN, SHASTA, SISKIYOU & TEHAMA COUNTIES SINCE 1993

Community

The men of Junto have formed a close-knit group that challenges and supports each individual.

Standing, left to right: Matthew Heath, Grant Sautner, Samuel Hess and Philip Bedford. Seated, left to right: Dustin Holley and Karim Lofty.

Junto — Men Meeting to Share Growth & Mutual Improvement

Over two hundred years ago Benjamin Franklin gathered friends from various backgrounds and occupations and put together a “Junto,” named from the Spanish word junta, meaning a group of men […]

0922-s1

Siskiyou County Search & Rescue – Volunteers Saving Lives In The North State

A Klamath Falls airman, out for a climb with a couple of friends, was 12,500 feet up Mount Shasta when he fell and broke his ankle. “His two buddies were […]

1121-hosthomes

Host Homes Program – A Safe Place For Homeless Youth

Each day in the United States, 50,000-100,000 young people 18-24 years old are either homeless or living in unstable home situations. Research has shown that homelessness can lead to severe […]

01021-mamap1

Mamapreneurs 2021

Each year, North State Parent celebrates entrepreneurial women of the North State who have integrated their own business or side hustle into the challenging and rewarding job of motherhood. These […]

01021-EP

Busting a Myth About Work/Life Balance

Whether you’re still in Startup phase, or slogging through Grind phase, you’re pushing hard and going uphill. You truly understand the nature of the phrase “a Sisyphean task.” And because […]

01021-azad2

Grandmaster Azad – Successful Businesses Are Like Successful Families

“When I was starting Azad’s Martial Arts, I made every mistake in the book,” Farshad Azad chuckles. “I didn’t even have money to pay rent for the building; I had […]

01021-w3

Congratulations To Our Reader Survey Winners

01021-fire

Fire Trauma And Helping Children Become More Resilient

Being evacuated or in a home fire is scary for both adults and children. This fear can extend well past the event, and can occur even if the child was […]

Wendy Dickens, MSW, is Executive Director of First 5 Shasta and a volunteer firefighter. She believes in the importance of starting fire prevention awareness early, and teaching young children the basics. Photo by Ashley Moore.

Becoming A Volunteer Firefighter

Becoming a volunteer firefighter is an excellent way to pay forward into the community. It takes hard work, training and commitment. The first step is to contact your area fire […]

01021-d1

Healing from Fire – Tips and Resources For Families Coping After Wildfire Disaster

Be Gentle with Yourself. You just made some hard decisions about your family’s safety under immense pressure and limited sleep; be gentle with yourself. Practice using an inner kind voice […]

01021-f3

Surviving a House Fire

With so many recent wildfires in the North State, alerts and evacuation orders are becoming common; but with a house fire, there is rarely advance warning. Sometimes it’s a quiet […]

wabisabi

Does Your Home Feel Imperfect? Congratulations!

When my husband suggested we move the old, blocky, wood veneer table from his bachelor condo to our shared home, I agreed, mainly because I assumed we’d replace it soon […]

>